Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Bastardized Karate Kid



I don’t know if anyone has seen the trailer for the new karate kid movie but it is very upsetting. It stars Will Smith’s son as a kid who moves to China with his mom and learns kung fu from a maintenance man who is secretly a kung fu master. As a huge fan of the first two I have to wonder why this is even being made. I guess because Will Smith has tons of money and can do whatever he wants. There are so many things wrong with this adaptation. First of all the kid learns kung fu, not karate. Doesn’t that kind of ruin the title? Also it should be in Okinawa or at least somewhere in Japan, not China. And thirdly, did no one learn anything from The Next Karate kid? One of the reasons The Karate Kid worked in the first place is that it took place in the 80s. At that time you can blast a Peter Cetera song over a karate sequence and it’s okay. Everything I’ve seen about this upsets me. Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment